Today's post... more stuff from the archives. This would be from September. I was really churning pages out at this point with a deadline hanging over my head.
I consider these my thumbnails since they're pretty small (3" x 4" or so) and are rough. They also speed up my production since a lot of the page is realized in this step. As you can see the final pages look nearly like these small drawings. There was a step between these and the final pencils that I'll show you guys tomorrow.
Thumbnails drawn on a self made photoshop template that I print out at various sizes (Here I printed it 4 to a page.) So sad to have recently lost that template in a computer crash, but really it only took maybe 20 minutes to make. That reminds me, I have to remake this template this week.
I ended up getting stuck on page 4 for a while, which resulted in a few versions, one that was even nearly fully inked, I finally almost cracked it with the thumbnail below. The page was difficult for me since it called for 7 panels all with a bunch of important information needing to be communicated.
On the other hand the layouts for pages 5, 6, and 7 were the easiest of the bunch. I had already pictured these pages pretty clearly from the initial read through of the script.
EDIT: Just noticed that that's my first thumbnail for page 7. By the looks of the final page, you can tell I didn't go with it.